ABOUT BIG ASIAN ENERGY
Big Asian Energy is a coaching, consulting, and education company that helps North American Asian leaders, entrepreneurs, and high performers to find their voice, build their confidence, and create their own unique path to success.Schedule a FREE Consultation
I believe that every Asian North American has the potential to be a leader in their personal and professional life.
However, I also know that the bamboo ceiling and intergenerational patterns are very real barriers that can prevent Asians from reaching their full potential.
The bamboo ceiling:
Is a term used to describe the frustrations that Asian professionals face as they attempt to move up in their careers.
Refers to the cultural and familial expectations that many Asians are raised with, which can often be in conflict with the individual's own desires and aspirations.
My mission is to help Asians North Americans breakthrough the bamboo ceiling and intergenerational patterns so they can unleash their full potential.
One of the most common questions I get is “why?”... And whether I focus on systemic struggles with my clients.
The truth is, we actually don’t talk nearly as much about that. Here’s what we talk about instead:
• We talk about what it’s like growing up as an Asian child, and the pressures of taking care of our parents at old age as our filial responsibility.
• We talk about the guilt we feel saying no to elders, because of cultural conditioning to respect everything they do. Even when we disagree.
• We talk about setting boundaries with our families in a way that promotes our individuality, without sacrificing intimacy.
• We talk about the cultural expectation to not claim credit at work, but also the struggle of seeing others claim it in our place.
• We talk about how we get patted on the back for being smart or working hard, but being forgotten during promotions because we’re not “assertive” enough for leadership.
• We talk about how uncomfortable it is to even point this out, because it goes against the collectivist teachings of self-sacrifice for the team.
We look at statements like:
“It’s a problem, but it’s really not that bad, I don’t want to make people uncomfortable.”
“Other people have it worse, and I have pretty simple needs so it’s no big deal.”
“It’s ok, I can handle it, I just gotta work harder, I’m pretty lazy hahaha”
And my clients question if they’re being honest with themselves, or if they’ve been conditioned to not cause waves.
We also talk about finding purpose, emotional resilience, and handling and negotiating drama.
When it comes to Asian North Americans, I see a group of people who have been taught to struggle alone, in the shadows. To put out their best self for “face” and “honour”, but also wonder why there’s so much unfulfillment.
But these intergenerational patterns end with us.
A new generation of Asian leaders have been born.
And we're claiming our authentic voices, taking up space, and unleashing our full potential.
And THAT, my friend, is what Big Asian Energy is about.
WORK WITH ME
Are you ready to step into your Big Asian Energy?
I offer coaching and consulting services that are tailored to your needs and goals. I work with my clients one-on-one to help them find their purpose, build their confidence, and create a plan for success.
I also offer an Asian Men's Group, and courses on a variety of topics related to leadership, entrepreneurship, and personal growth. My programs are all designed to help Asians connect with their personal power and create a life that they love.
If you're ready to break through the bamboo ceiling and create your own unique path to success, I would love to help you. Click the button below to learn more about my offers.EXPLORE WORKING TOGETHER
My name's John Wang and I'm a Coach, Teacher, Writer, Speaker, TikTok-er, Podcaster, and Founder of Big Asian Energy.
Social Media Followers
15+ YEARS OF
Entrepreneurship & Mentoring
& Keynote Speaker
JOIN THE BIG ASIAN
Never miss an update.